Battersea Power Station has stood empty for a long time awaiting development and approval of plans. Now it’s been announced that in October 2013, conversion into new homes will finally begin thirty years after the energy station closed. The Battersea Power Station Development Company is behind the venture and in control of the restoration of the Grade II listed building.
The restoration project will run into countless pounds and will need to include much major repair work before any renovation is really undertaken. The initial phase of the building work is to correct the external brickwork, clean the towers, do work to the steel frame, repair and replace windows and defeat and rebuild the famous chimneys. The chimneys will undoubtedly be reconstructed to exactly the same design but utilising the latest safety and structural standards. The idea is to keep the building looking exactly the same and as a tattoo of London.
A particular team has been put together to work on the internet site and the main developer for phase 1 as been announced as Carillion with the architect being Ian Simpson Architects and de Rijke Marsh Morgan. The contract for the first phase is rumoured to be worth around £400 million and will undoubtedly be one of many largest in London at the existing time. Carillion is one of many UK’s largest construction firms and already has several high profile development schemes udder its belt such as for example Terminal 5 at Heathrow Airport and Crossrail and the Royal Liverpool Hospital Project.
The initial phase will undoubtedly be known as Circus West and will be to the west side of the Power Station and will include around 850 one, two and three bedroom apartments, also town houses and luxury penthouses. There may also be shops, commercial units, cultural buildings an d community spaces. When completed the whole development can provide significantly more than 3,500 new homes. It will also produce a large amount of new jobs.
Battersea Power Station is the greatest brick building in Europe and was noted for its Art Deco interior and decor. It is a vintage coal-fired power station on the bank of the FFPOWER Thames river, in South-West London. It is really two individual power stations that have been built at different times but within one building. The initial part was built in the 1930’s and the next part 20 years later. They have the identical design giving the iconic 4 chimney look. The power station stopped making electric in 1983 and has stood empty ever since. However appearances in various music videos for the Beaatles, Take That and Judas Priest and importantly gracing the cover of Pink Floyd’s 1977 album Animals have managed to get a unique landmark for London.
Prior to the 1930’s it had been for the local councils to supply electric and so there have been small power stations to get the job done for different districts and the energy was used for a particular factory or industry and excess was sold to the public. However as they certainly were small places the quality and voltage and frequency of the energy differed greatly. In 1925 the Government decided there should be a single power grid with uniform standards. The London Power Company was formed from many of the smaller power suppliers.
Their first super power station was built at Battersea because the proximity to the river allowed for quick cooling of the systems and beneficial to delivery of the coal and was in the heart of London to supply electric to. There is much opposition on the lands that the building could be an eye-sore so the company introduced a famous architect to create the exterior. When it opened it had been the most thermally efficient power station in the world. It had been built in 2 stage and by the time the next phase was completed the UK’s electric supply have been nationalised and ownership was passed to the British Electricity Authority.
There has been several redevelopment plans through the years as different companies took over the site. In 2004 there clearly was a redevelopment project in the pipe line but the prevailing debts of over £750 million, the necessity that any development must add a £200 million contribution to a proposed extension of the London Underground, the necessity for a waste transfer plant and cement factory on the banks of the river and the conversation required, managed to get an unattractive investment and an arduous commercial project.
In 2006 it had been bought by an Irish company for £400 million. They initially planned to refurbish your website right into a public venue and housing. The master plan was granted permission to go ahead however the Irish company’s debts meant the administrations were called in by the end of December 2011 and in July 2012 it had been sold to a Malaysian owned consortium for exactly the same amount because the Irish company purchased for. Most interested parties simply wanted to demolish the structure and redevelop the land and it’s took careful negotiation to locate a firm willing to undertake the conservation and refurbishment, while having a commercial venture.